Does technology make us antisocial?

So today is my birthday. That's a great day to reflect on the past and think about the future ...

I don't believe that technology is making us (or our tamariki) antisocial. Most of us are using technology to augment our face to face communication. Often I talk with students about things we have seen on news sites etc.

But what will it be like in the future? Goodbye keyboards, definitely. But does that make any difference? Direct interface with our brains would make the conversation quite "real"! Many of us struggle with our filters as it is.



Comments

  1. Happy Birthday!

    Augmenting face to face is definitely a major part of my world too. Today we hosted a group of teachers from Northland in our schools. Some of them I have met only once, others 2-3 times. But I have followed them online. So when we met F2F today we were able to pick up on online conversations and carry on interacting as if we knew each other a lot better than would have been typical if it HAD only been 1-3 meetings.
    I will ponder "Direct interface with our brains..." That is potentially scary!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts